Friday, April 3, 2009

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Hot Cereal Recipe, or, the Totally Off-Topic Post

Sorry, but I'm obsessed with pumpkin pie, and this is my new favourite breakfast.

I've perfected my Healthy Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal/Hot Cereal recipe and I was so happy about it that I had to share it with the universe somehow. Vegan, sugar-free, and non-fat, but sooo good. We'll return to TV land by the next post, I promise.

I use a mix of steel-cut oats and amaranth, but you could also use seven-grain cereal or Sunny Boy. If I have only oats, I get hungry in an hour, but if I mix grains, I can last into the mid-afternoon, if I need to.

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Hot Cereal

Makes two servings.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup cereal grains of choice (seven grain, Sunny Boy, steel-cut oats/amaranth/millet, etc.)
1/2 ripe mango (pureed or diced into small pieces)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup almond or soy or hemp milk
1 cup or so of water (or, brewed chai tea would work a treat if you don't have the spices on hand. Not the sugary crap from the tetra pak, BTW.).
2 TB flax seeds, or to taste
10 to 20 pecans, or to taste. I also mix in other nuts if I feel like it. I like nuts!
2 TB or so of hulled hemp seeds for an extra protein kick (optional)
1/4-1/2 tsp orange zest (a little goes a long way!)
cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and fresh ginger (amounts to vary based on whether you like your pumpkin pie spicy or not)
salt to taste


Instructions:

1) Before you go to bed, cover grains with plenty of water and throw it in the fridge. It will soak overnight and then it won't take so bloody long to cook in the morning. DO NOT do this with normal quick oats or other quickly-cooked grains.

2) In the morning drain the grain and put it in a pot. Mix in all the ingredients EXCEPT for the hemp seeds. Crumble the pecans in your fingers and add them to the pot. Cook over medium-high heat until bubbling, stirring occasionally, then turn down to just above minimum heat and cover, stirring occasionally until done. Add water as needed if it gets too dry or whatever.

Divide into two bowls, sprinkle the hemp seeds on top and serve.

If you soak the grains, your breakfast will be ready by the time you drink your first cup of coffee, maybe 5 to 10 minutes (I haven't really timed it).

No comments:

Post a Comment