Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Castle for Hard-Core Nathan Fillion Fans? (New Series, Mystery/Police Procedural, ABC)


I want to love Castle. I was really excited to hear that Nathan Fillion, of Firefly fame, was getting another show.

The pilot was entertaining — the banter was more witty than in most police procedurals, and the dialogue in the mystery writer's poker game scene was the best scene in the premiere, and is worth tuning in to for that. My fellow watchers and I agreed that the writer's voice swung from the conventional older style of police procedural television to flashes of wit and sometimes it was even a little meta. Of course, we wanted it to push a lot farther.

Now that I've seen the second episode, I think that Castle is going to settle into a conventional mystery/police procedural, which is less than what I was hoping for. I think it has more depth than Mentalist, only because of Castle's relationship with his teenage daughter. His mother sets my teeth on edge, however.

Of course, the publishing industry is totally romanticized here, and the view of writing and book publishing is totally unconnected with reality. Hey, I've worked in Canadian publishing for a while now, and, trust me, book signings are rarely that glam, and most writers don't have the mayor on speed dial.

If the second episode is any indication, it seems like this show is going to move into the classic murder-per-week style of older shows, rather than having a larger season plot arc.

Basically, this is a show with Nathan Fillion doing Nathan Fillion with competent scripts from a seasoned TV writer. I like this show just fine. But I don't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment